Two Rules for the Circular Economy and Setting System Conditions for an Abundance of Flows with Ken Webster
Episode 004: Podcast Show Notes
Today we’re talking with Ken Webster about the importance of thinking in systems and why we need to stop looking for circular economy examples and start thinking about what we’re trying to achieve. Do we want to circulate wealth or extract it? How do we ensure we’re setting the right system conditions for the circular economy? Tune in to today’s discussion to find out.
Podcast Highlights and Circular Economy Takeaways
- Moving towards the circular economy [01:45]
- Reflections on the surge of interest in circular economy and the challenges ahead [05:30]
- Two rules for the circular economy and why we need to stop looking for examples [11:25]
- What are the system conditions for the circular economy? [017:30]
- How to make the system circular and the need for both big and small flows [22:45]
- Future visioning and useful links [33:45]
Learn More about Circular Economy Concepts and Models
About Today's Guest
Ken Webster is a leading expert on the circular economy and author of the book The Circular Economy: A Wealth of Flows. From 2012-2018, he was Head of Innovation at the Ellen MacArthur Foundation where he remains an associate, and he now holds positions at both the University of Exeter and Linkoping University.
About the Show
Getting In the Loop is a weekly podcast dedicated to exploring how to transform to a more circular society. Join host Katie Whalen as she examines the challenges facing our current resource use and discovers alternatives to the ‘take, make, dispose’ way of doing things. Each week she interviews circular economy experts about what they’re doing and learning. Together we'll uncover what circular economy means in practice and find out what's being done to keep our resources in a loop rather than sent to waste. Let's get in the loop!