Circular Fashion, Zero Waste, and Closing Textile Loops with Lynn Wilson
Episode 013: Podcast Show Notes
Today on the podcast we’re chatting with Lynn Wilson about circular textiles and diving into the design and production side, talking about zero waste fashion and recycling. We also talk about the consumption side of things, looking at what we’re doing in our wardrobes and how we look after and dispose of our clothing.
Podcast Highlights and Circular Economy Takeaways
- 4:30 Lynn’s background and journey to her current research
- 12:00 Tech for zero waste textiles production – is it happening?
- 19:00 Opportunities for reuse and second-hand clothing and why some customers say no to secondhand
- 31:30 What you can do and shifting to a ‘Buyerarchy of Needs’ by borrowing, renting or leasing
- 35:30 Looking towards the future and challenges with closing loops in textiles and apparel
About Today's Guest
Lynn Wilson is a designer, researcher and circular economy specialist. From 2013 to 2017 she was part of the Circular Economy team at Zero Waste Scotland where she implemented a national circular economy textiles strategy. She is currently a PhD researcher at the Adam Smith Business School, Glasgow University.
About the Show
Getting In the Loop is a weekly podcast dedicated to exploring how to transform to a more circular society. Join host Katie Whalen as she examines the challenges facing our current resource use and discovers alternatives to the ‘take, make, dispose’ way of doing things. Each week she interviews circular economy experts about what they’re doing and learning. Together we'll uncover what circular economy means in practice and find out what's being done to keep our resources in a loop rather than sent to waste. Let's get in the loop!