How Artificial Intelligence Can Help Create a More Circular Economy with Johanna Reimers
Episode 014: Podcast Show Notes
Johanna Reimers, CEO of Refind Technologies, reflects on the role of technology in creating a more circular economy. In this episode, you’ll hear how Refind Technologies is using machine learning and AI to help companies undertake repair, remanufacturing and recycling. And, don’t miss the fascinating reason why Refind Technologies also knows a lot about fish as well as batteries!
Podcast Highlights and Circular Economy Takeaways
- 2:30 Introduction to Refind Technologies
- 4:00 How to teach a machine to sort batteries
- 7:30 Why Refind Technologies knows a lot about fish in addition to batteries
- 14:30 Enabling circular repair and remanufacturing with automation technology
- 18:00 How Refind Technologies introduced the world’s first reverse vending machine for batteries
- 25:30 Challenges and opportunities for circular technology
- 33:15 The future of AI and mission recognition for circular economy
Learn More About Circular Technology
About Today's Guest
Johanna Reimers is CEO of Refind Technologies since 2015, which she co-founded in 2014. She has an M.Sc. in Industrial Engineering and Management from Chalmers University of Technology and worked as an IT consultant and project manager for about ten years prior to working in the recycling business with Optisort, a former version of Refind, in 2013.
About the Show
Getting In the Loop is a weekly podcast dedicated to exploring how to transform to a more circular society. Join host Katie Whalen as she examines the challenges facing our current resource use and discovers alternatives to the ‘take, make, dispose’ way of doing things. Each week she interviews circular economy experts about what they’re doing and learning. Together we'll uncover what circular economy means in practice and find out what's being done to keep our resources in a loop rather than sent to waste. Let's get in the loop!