Designing for Circular Economy and Systems Thinking with Leyla Acaroglu
Episode 016: Podcast Show Notes
Sustainability strategist, designer, and social change agent Leyla Acaroglu joins us on the podcast today! In this episode, you’ll hear about Leyla’s exciting work to make sustainable design understandable and desirable, and you’ll learn how design and systems thinking can help us move towards a more circular economy.
Podcast Highlights and Circular Economy Takeaways
- 2:45 Bringing sustainable living practices to life through the CO Project Farm
- 11:15 Understanding the impacts of design decisions and making sustainable design cool
- 17:45 What needs to happen to reach a more circular economy
- 20:30 Designing learning systems and tools for the circular economy
- 25:00 Preparing future generations to create more sustainable solutions
- 29:00 Gaps in current circular economy discussions
- 32:15 Workshops, fellowships, and online training to level up your career and systems thinking skills
About Today's Guest
Designer, sociologist, sustainability provocateur, and 2016 United Nations Champion of the Earth, Dr. Leyla Acaroglu challenges people to think differently about how the world works. As a pioneer of creative change, she weaves together sustainability, design, and systems thinking to challenge the way people see the world. She is the founder of Disrupt Design, The UnSchool, and CO Project Farm.
About the Show
Getting In the Loop is a weekly podcast dedicated to exploring how to transform to a more circular society. Join host Katie Whalen as she examines the challenges facing our current resource use and discovers alternatives to the ‘take, make, dispose’ way of doing things. Each week she interviews circular economy experts about what they’re doing and learning. Together we'll uncover what circular economy means in practice and find out what's being done to keep our resources in a loop rather than sent to waste. Let's get in the loop!