Accelerating Circular Economy in the USA with Kate Daly
Episode 025: Podcast Show Notes
Today we’re welcoming Kate Daly of Closed Loop Partners to the podcast. In this episode you will learn about how Closed Loop Partners is working with US companies to help accelerate the transition to a circular economy. Kate tells us why companies are motivated to work on circularity and shares examples of recent projects including a challenge to ‘Reinvent the Paper Cup’ as part of the NExt Gen consortium founded by McDonald’s, Starbucks, and Closed Loop Partners.
Podcast Highlights and Circular Economy Takeaways
- 2:30 Kate’s impressions from the World Circular Economy Forum 2019
- 3:45 What is happening in the USA regarding circular economy
- 5:00 Why the US private sector is motivated to move towards a circular economy
- 10:40 How Closed Loop Partners is working with brands to advance circularity
- 15:00 Bringing together competitors in the NExt Gen consortium and the challenge to ‘Reinvent the Paper’ cup
- 23:00 Benefits of (digital) material passports and examples in practice
- 27:30 Next steps for widespread acceptance of the circular economy
Learn More About Circular Economy and Topics in this Episode
About the Show
Getting In the Loop is a weekly podcast dedicated to exploring how to transform to a more circular society. Join host Katie Whalen as she examines the challenges facing our current resource use and discovers alternatives to the ‘take, make, dispose’ way of doing things. Each week she interviews circular economy experts about what they’re doing and learning. Together we'll uncover what circular economy means in practice and find out what's being done to keep our resources in a loop rather than sent to waste.
About Today's Guest
Kate Daly is the Executive Director of the Center for the Circular Economy at Closed Loop Partners, an impact investment firm. The Center is a hub for circular business acceleration, investment, and research in packaging, food, the built environment, and apparel & textiles. Prior to joining Closed Loop Partners, Kate served as Senior Vice President at the NYC Economic Development Corporation. At NYCEDC Kate led a team launching innovative business development programs in sectors including fashion, tech, sustainability, media, and advanced manufacturing. Kate previously served as the Executive Director of the NYC Landmarks Preservation Commission.