Moving to a Circular Economy with Walter Stahel (Part 2)
Episode 024: Podcast Show Notes
In Part Two of our special two-part episode, we return with the founding father of the Performance Economy Dr. Walter Stahel. Today we learn about the work he is currently doing to accelerate the transition to a more circular economy. You will hear about his new book, The Circular Economy: A User’s Guide, including why he was motivated to write the book in the first place and why he thinks the most important part of circular economy is YOU.
Podcast Highlights and Circular Economy Takeaways
- 2:00 How the World Circular Economy Forum 2017 motivated Walter to write his new book
- 10:30 Moving from (Extended Producer) Responsibility to Liability for a circular transition
- 17:00 How to change business models to increase profitability using the tricks of the Performance Economy
- 21:00 Why we need to move away from silo-thinking
- 26:00 Why achieving a circular economy starts with finding ways to motivate individuals
About the Show
Getting In the Loop is a weekly podcast dedicated to exploring how to transform to a more circular society. Join host Katie Whalen as she examines the challenges facing our current resource use and discovers alternatives to the ‘take, make, dispose’ way of doing things. Each week she interviews circular economy experts about what they’re doing and learning. Together we'll uncover what circular economy means in practice and find out what's being done to keep our resources in a loop rather than sent to waste.
About Today's Guest
Dr. Walter R. Stahel
Dr. Walter R. Stahel is founder and director of the Product-Life Institute (Switzerland), the oldest established consultancy in Europe devoted to developing sustainable strategies and policies. He is a visiting professor at the University of Surrey (UK), a full member of the Club of Rome, and author of numerous publications,, including his recent book The Circular Economy: A User’s Guide.